Sunday, November 2, 2008

Life At The . . .



Volvo brands its round-the-world race as "Life at the Extreme". When I reflect on this slogan, now, as a competitor, I realize that there has been a shift in my interpretation. I used to hear "-blah, blah, blah- EXTREME".

"Life at the" sounded like filler, mere words for propping up "the extreme" and conjuring images of boats ripping through waves at 30 knots. Now, 23 days and more than 8000 sailing miles into leg one, I realize that the operative word in this slogan is "Life". Participating in this race is a 9 month lifestyle.

This is our last night on leg one. Tonight will bring an end to our 23rd day of sailing a 70-foot carbon shell from Spain to South Africa, via a scoring gate off Brazil.

What were you were doing on October 11th, the Saturday we left Alicante for Cape Town? This might take a moment. It was a Saturday. Have you placed it yet? How many times have you taken a hot shower, shaved, gone out to dinner, talked to a friend on a phone, been to the gym, gone for a run, sipped a beer, slept eight hours straight, hit the snooze button, or surfed the web? I haven’t done any of these things for 23 days.

These were basic elements of my lifestyle before this race started.

Particularly the snooze button.

Our life on the Delta Lloyd is one dimensional and simple. We are racing a sail boat. That’s all we do. We wear the same clothes every day, so we don’t wonder what to wear, or for that manner, what's clean. We eat one of three flavors of freeze dried food every day. The only decision we make about what to eat is the order. We don’t have a main street full of restaurants, a menu or a refrigerator full of options.

As navigator, I’m not on a watch, so I sleep when I can, typically for about 30 minutes at a time, right here on my nav desk seat. Once a day I’ll climb into a bunk for an hour. In total, I sleep for about 3 or 4 hours a day. I don’t have an alarm clock, I don’t have a bed time, and I can not be late to work. In fact, my commute simply involves sitting up, spinning my legs under the nav table desk, and rubbing my eyes. Today we were talking about how ridiculously stupid we all look with beards. However, I have no idea what mine looks like. I haven’t seen myself in a mirror for 23 days.

I am oblivious to what is going on with the presidential election in the USA, the global market crash, the latest gossip amongst my friends, or the new season's story line of my favorite TV show, Entourage.

Participating in this race is the experience of a life time. This is my "Life at the –blah, blah, blah"

4 comments:

Caroline said...

I'll turn in your application for survivor. That way if you decide you really want to relive this "life" and go back to not eating, sleeping or showering, after this is all over you can, you can.
I remember exactly what I was doing on Oct. 11, and can't wait to share more of that with you once you hit land (seems like FOREVER ago!)
Oh and I saw video's and pics. Not pretty, so don't worry about looking in a mirror...just shave! HA!

Adam Spiegel said...

Matthew,

So the next time we sign you up to do a midwinter race on a J/105, I guess the secret will be to get you to spend the night beforehand on the boat? Do you wake up to find drool all over the nav station?

But seriously, I can't even begin to imagine your level of exhaustion. Your writing it still pretty damn good! You've developed a great stream of consciousness style, and are making the race come alive. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Enjoy your landfall, and keep up the writing next leg.

Adam S.

Jennifer Langille said...

Matt, can't wait for you to see all the feedback from your blog which, as a journalists following the event is my top read of the morning.

The last comment said it best, you have been bringing this event alive, provided me more info than I know what to do with and can't wait to get more.

As I write this, the team is only moments from finishing! Nice.

shields205 said...

I wouldn't sleep that much either on a boat full of guys that have not seen a single women in 23 days.