The preliminary numbers from the first half of the 2008-9 VOR are outstanding, both in their absolute size and also in their growth from the 2005-6 race.
- In the first 5 months of the race, 2.41 million unique visitors visited volvooceanrace.org, up 39% for the same period in 2005-6.
- In the first 5 stopovers, the total number of spectators to pass through the turnstyles of the race village was 2,350,392. This is a 250% increase over the first 5 stopovers of the 2005-6 race
- The pro-am race day in Alicante brought 68,400 people to the village, while the total stopover attendance was 937,000 people.
- Cochin India, by comparison, brought in a total of 811,677 people with a peak day attendance of 107,289. Yup over one hundred thousand people in the race village on a single day. You'd have to see it to believe it....From being there I can assure you that it was absolutely amazing.
- Estimated their media value benefit at US$ 65 Million.
- Put on 500 B2B focused events where they entertained 4,600 decision making customers at the Executive, VP, and Senior level.
- Engaged employees through over 100 seminars and workshops focused around the race.
- Estimate their total value of sponsorship at close to US$100 Million, which is a 450-500% ROI.
- Estimated their media value benefit at US$ 77 Million.
- Entertained 35,000 key customers and clients worldwide
- Engaged employees and developed corporate pride as demonstrated by the 25 Million intranet hits that their employees generated on the team's website.
- Measured their tangible total economic return on investment at 600%